Lookonchain APP

App Store

Point of View: The Federal Reserve Has Over-Eased, with a 65% Chance of Stagflation in the United States

2025.04.18 15:48:23

On April 18th, Adam Posen, who has held positions in the Federal Reserve and the Bank of England, stated in a speech this week, "We may be on the verge of a recession or we might not. Nevertheless, in either case, we will be confronted with inflation." Posen, currently serving as the President of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, wields significant influence. He believes that there is a 65% probability of a recession. Regarding the Fed, Posen thinks that given the still relatively high level of inflation, it has cut interest rates too vigorously. Once prices start to rise again, the Fed may not be able to keep pace with the changes. As a consequence, the Fed may be compelled to raise interest rates rapidly and significantly, thereby placing additional stress on the economy. If all these scenarios were to come to pass, Posen said that repairing this damage could take several years or even longer. (FXStreet)
Relevant content

U.S. Secretary of State: More Updates on Iran Situation Possible Today

May 24 – U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there could be more updates on the Iran situation later today. He noted that some progress has been made over the past 48 hours on a framework to resolve tensions in the Strait of Hormuz, adding that positive news regarding the Strait of Hormuz may emerge in the next few hours. Pompeo also reaffirmed that Iran must never possess nuclear weapons, and condemned any attacks on commercial ships as completely illegal.

6 minutes ago

Iranian President: No decision will be made without leadership permission

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi said on May 24 that no decisions will be made outside the framework of the Supreme National Security Council, nor without coordination and approval from Iran’s Supreme Leader, per Fars News Agency.

6 minutes ago

Israeli Media Reveals Potential Memorandum of Understanding: Dual Timeline Negotiation, Oil Sanctions Relief, Lebanon Ceasefire

May 24 — A potential memorandum of understanding (MOU) between Iran and the United States would see Washington lift sanctions on Iranian oil, Iran’s Tasnim news agency reports. The MOU stresses ending all conflicts across all fronts, including Lebanon. It calls on Israel to halt its war in Lebanon, sets a 30-day deadline for resolving procedures related to the Strait of Hormuz and lifting the blockade. A 60-day timeline will also be established for nuclear negotiations; to date, Iran has not taken any action related to its nuclear program.

6 minutes ago

Int'l Media: If Agreement Reached, Number of Ships Able to Pass Through Hormuz Strait Will Resume in 30 Days

May 24 — Tasnim News Agency, Iran says if Iran strikes a deal with the U.S., the situation in the Strait of Hormuz will not return to its pre-war state, and the number of ships transiting the strategic waterway will rebound to pre-war levels within 30 days.

6 minutes ago

Israeli Media Refutes New York Times: Israel Not Excluded from Agreement Obligations

May 24 — In response to a New York Times report alleging that “Trump has exempted Israel from any obligations under the Iran deal,” Iran’s Fars News Agency is pushing back, calling the claim entirely unfounded. According to the explicit terms of the finalized agreement, once it takes effect, the U.S. and its allies will commit to never attacking Iran or its partners. In return, Iran has pledged that it and its allies will not carry out preemptive military strikes against the U.S. or its allies. The media’s assertion that Israel has been exempted from any obligations toward Iran directly contradicts the clear language of the final agreement and is inaccurate.

6 minutes ago

White House Shooter's Identity Confirmed, Had Previously Attempted to Enter the White House Multiple Times, Suspected to Have Mental Health Issues

May 24 — Renowned journalist Nick Sortor reports that the individual involved in the gun incident near the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Authorities confirm Best had a history of multiple attempts to breach the White House, including an arrest in July 2025. Following that arrest, he was ordered to complete mandatory mental health treatment, publicly claimed to be Jesus Christ, and was subject to a pre-existing restraining order.

6 minutes ago